Stuck in a rut? 5 ways to help you get out.
You were motivated to do something, maybe it was to begin a diet or a workout program. You were excited to get moving, so you went headstrong into it, then...BAM! You hit that rut in the road. Now you can't get moving. That motivation you had is gone and you can't see any way of getting out of the rut.
Hey, it happens to all of us. Ruts just suck...or do they?
Ruts don't need to derail us from our goals and paths. They don't necessarily mean we need to give up. Ruts can let us know it's time to breathe and look at our journey, thus far.
If you have found yourself in a rut, here are 5 helpful tips to help you get out and start moving again.
1. FORGIVE YOURSELF! We all get in ruts from time to time. It's perfectly normal. It may be your body's and brain's way of saying you need to take a break and rest. Honor yourself. Take that rest, breathe, and be kind to yourself. If you relax and forgive yourself for falling into a rut, you can then begin to move forward.
2. ASSESS. Take the time to look at what you have been doing. Assess what has been working, and what has not. What are the positive things you notice about your journey? What are the negatives? Focus on what was positives and discard the negatives.
3. JUST MOVE. Rather than sit and wallow in the rut, go for a walk. The fresh air can clear your head. The movement can help your muscles and your cardiovascular system. Going for a leisurely walk can also be a form of meditation. Just let your mind wander. Sometimes you can work out your frustrations, or come up with ideas to get you out of the rut.
4. TRY SOMETHING NEW. If you've been lifting weights most of the time, try a group class or a HIIT routine. Maybe learn a new exercise or exercise style (i.e. Olympic weight lifting, power lifting, kettlebells). That simple change can breathe some life into your old routine.
5. LISTEN TO A PODCAST. Have you ever listened to a podcast? I never did until recently. I was stuck in a creative rut. I couldn't think of blog ideas or workouts. Someone suggested listening to a podcast, so I did. Almost immediately ideas began popping up in my head! Try listening to some for inspiration or for laughter. You don't necessarily need to listen to a podcast. Sometimes just listening to music helps. The idea is to get out of your own head.
The next time you find yourself stuck, do number 1 and forgive yourself, then try one or more of the other ideas.
Come join us at StrongGirl Revolution! We provide the guidance and support to make you stronger, healthier, help you move better, and, of course, help you get out of that rut. Feel free to contact me at email@example.com if you have any questions about our program.
LIKE WHAT YOU JUST READ?
Share it! Comment below!